Finding treatment for your child with autism with the help of your Wilmington pediatrician
There are several and varied treatment options for autism in children. Some focus on developing motor skills, while others deal with emotional issues, or food sensitivities. Trying to decide which one is right for your child can be frustrating, so you must do plenty of research and talk to experts in autism treatments. Dr. Karen Harum is a doctor specializing in neurodevelopmental disabilities and Dr. Robert Nutt is a general physician at the Clinic for Special Children in Wilmington NC. They are experts in treating children with autism.
Treatments and Interventions for Children with Autism.
Wilmington pediatrician patients can choose from the following therapies aimed at autistic children:
- Applied Behavior Analysis: ABA uses positive reinforcement to increase communications, improve focus, and decrease problematic behaviors.
- Early Start Denver Model: ESDM is based on ABA but aimed specifically at children between the ages of 12 and 24 months.
- Occupational Therapy: OT can help children with autism develop skills through play and encourage them to interact with the environment. It can also help older children learn how to take care of themselves.
- Pivotal Response Treatment: PRT is a form of ABA that focuses on multiple responses to cues, motivation, social interaction, and self-management.
- Floortime: This is a relationship-based therapy that encourages parents to get down on the floor with their children and interact with them at their level.
- Verbal behavior: This is a form of ABA that teaches communication skills and helps autistic children to connect words with their purposes.
Medication and Children with Autism
Many parents with autistic children at the office of their Wilmington pediatrician have the option of treatment with medication. This is a very personal choice and largely depends on the child’s position on the spectrum and the parent’s personal preferences. If medication is an option for your child, you must work closely with your child’s treatment team.
If you’re looking for a Wilmington NC pediatrician who specializes in treating children with autism, you can call the Clinic for Special Children today at 910-319-7744. From there you can set up an appointment with Dr. Karen Harum and Dr. Robert Nutt.